Arctic Exhibition: Wayfarers – Summerhall, Edinburgh
Taking its cue from the metaphor of passage, WAYFARERS responds to the ecological changes affecting the Arctic and our attempts to navigate a newly configured world.
25th FEB – 19th MARCH 2017 (11:00-18:00)
Basement Gallery, Summerhall,
Summerhall Place, Edinburgh EH9 1PL
As part of our Highlight Arctic project, we bring you this three-week visual/media art exhibition, WAYFARERS.
The exhibition will feature:
- Siberian artist Yulia Kovanova‘s THREE TIMES TO THE MOON AND BACK, a series of installations developing upon a project conducted with the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB). An investigation into the life of the Arctic tern (Sterna paradise), this work investigates the environmental factors affecting their lives and interactions between human and non-human animals. Two of the pieces exhibited as part of this installation were produced in collaboration with composer Lars Koens.
- Finnish artist Tomi Knuutila‘s CLIMATABLE, an interactive table with 4 separate hotspots for 4 different data sets collected from various online scientific research databases. The data documents climate change from various points of view – such as CO2 levels in Mauna Loa in 1959-2016, annual global mean land and ocean temperature anomalies between 1850 and 2016 and seasonal sea ice coverage in the Northern hemisphere from 1870 to 2007 – allowing the public multiple ways to access and review the environmental changes taking place around us.
- The UK premiere of German auteur Ulrike Ottinger‘s newest film, CHAMISSO’S SHADOW, which had its world premiere at the 2016 Berlin International Film Festival. Retracing the 1815-1818 journey of botanist Adelbert von Chamisso through Alaska, Chukotka and Kamchatka, this 12-hour film will be presented in three parts screened simultaneously, on-loop, for the duration of the Wayfarers exhibition.
- A collection of Nordic video-poetry by video-artist/soundscape-constructor SWOON.
- Inuit artist and poet JESSIE KLEEMANN from Greenland, performing a brand new live performance piece.
- And more…
The Exhibition will be unveiled in modules, beginning with Tomi’s Climatable: 25th Feb
The full Exhibition will open to the public alongside our overall Highlight Arctic Programme Launch: 2nd March 2017, 18:30-22:00
WAYFARER: Artist Events
Tomi Knuutila in Conversation: Fri 24th February, 18.00 -19.30
Jessie Kleemann Performance (at the Programme Launch): Thurs 2rd March, 18:30
Yulia Kovanova with guests in Conversation: Date/Time TBC
[Supported by Film Hub Scotland, part of BFI’s Film Audience Network, and Danish Arts Foundation]